Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

The situation that encountered in my work place (a Hospital;

Customer Question
I am a RN with...
The situation that encountered in my work place (a Hospital; I am a RN with 50 years nursing experience in a variety of institutions in the US and abroad.
In the unit where I currently work I encountered what amounts a hostile working environment. An administrative assistance (desk receptionist) harassed me repeatedly throughout the day, repeatedly requesting data that she alleged had not been entered in the computer system and I informed her that I had entered it. She continued to verbally remind me of other actions that I needed to take with regard to patients that I was responsible for.
Later when I had signed a document as requested, I leant over her and another administrator's shoulders and dropped the document on the desk.
This assistant immediately went to the supervisor and alleged that I had thrown an object at her. I was then instructed to make an apology to the assistant. The latter did not acknowledge the apology and returned to the supervisor to complain that I had not apologized properly. I made a second approach to the assistant and apologized a second time.
Thereafter a senior administrator appeared on the unit and informed me in a peremptory fashion that I was placed on administrative and made to make a public apology to the staff of the unit. I was further demeaned by being told to leave the unit by the back stairs and not to talk to anyone as I left. She informed that she would be watching me to see that I complied.
I feel this is gross unjust treatment, A judgement was made about my conduct with out being able to offer any response. The other nursing staff are witnesses to the fact that I did nothing wrong except to speak in a clear and direct fashion to the administrative assistant that I did not want to speak with her privately about the matters in issue. I was tired of the persistent harassment that I have endured form an assistant who has no registered nursing training.
I believe I am owed at least an apology and some restitution for the wrongful administrative penalty imposed on me.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Employment Law
3/4/2016
Employment Lawyer: Asad Rahman, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer

I am very sorry for your troubles. While the supervisor should have given you the opportunity to explain I am not sure there is a legal case here. You could claim the assistant's actions and the supervisor's failure to address both parties fairly created a hostile work environment. The challenge is how do you prove your damages.

We can talk by phone if you want but there are additional charges.

Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer