Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I applied benefits and received them. Now the City of

Customer Question
I applied for unemployment benefits...
I applied for unemployment benefits and received them. Now the City of Independence, IA is appealing. They already had appealed and got turned down. Now they are appealing again. I only worked 6 days in January and 10 days in February. The other Am receptionist worked the rest of the days of the week, plus he worked for the city on other jobs which he is also part time and got 35 to 40 hours a week. I only work from 6:00am to 10:00 Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday and Friday when I work. Does the City of Independence, IA have a right to appeal again?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Employment Law
3/3/2016
Employment Lawyer: John, Employment Lawyer replied 2 years ago
John, Employment Lawyer

First , there are three levels of appeal for each individual appeal - protest, hearing and appeal of hearing officer's decision. Second an employer can protest different weeks of unemployment. So yes there can multiple appeals and multiple levels of appeal within each appeal. You likewise have the right to appeal any denial of benefits at any level of appeal.

I am sending you this follow-up to determine if you require further assistance with your matter. I believe I have answered your question to the best of my abilities. I truly enjoy helping others with my knowledge and experience, and I believe I provide a valuable service. If you agree that my response was of value to you, please support my endeavor to share my knowledge by providing a positive rating. You have already been charged the full amount for your question. Providing a positive rating will not cost you any additional charge, but it will permit the website to credit me with answering your question. Otherwise, the website does not credit me with answering your question. Thanks.