Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Can a company who I work full time and worked entire month…

Customer Question
Can a company who I...
Can a company who I work full time and worked for an entire month earning revenue "backdate" my short term disability from the month before all the way though to the next month?
P.S. I've worked for this company for 17+ years and work from home, travel to a "work site" and perform audits. The organization "backdated" my disability from December 28 through February 29th even though I worked for revenue starting January 11th through February 5th 2016
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Employment Law
3/2/2016
Employment Lawyer: John, Employment Lawyer replied 2 years ago
John, Employment Lawyer

Disability claims can and should be dated to the date of onset. There is nothing per se wrong or illegal with backdating a claim, nor does it matter if you had any income from them the month or week of the claim. You'd still be eligible for the benefits. The way these claims work are your average income; not the specific income of any particular month or week.

I am sending you this follow-up to determine if you require further assistance with your matter. I believe I have answered your question to the best of my abilities. I truly enjoy helping others with my knowledge and experience, and I believe I provide a valuable service. If you agree that my response was of value to you, please support my endeavor to share my knowledge by providing a positive rating. You have already been charged the full amount for your question. Providing a positive rating will not cost you any additional charge, but it will permit the website to credit me with answering your question. Otherwise, the website does not credit me with answering your question. Thanks.