Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I recently received an email from my boss about the company…

Customer Question
I recently received an email...
I recently received an email from my boss about the company I work for finding out I got convicted of a drug possession charge back in 2012. Since it doesn't relate to my job I didn't have to report it to them. On the email conversion between my boss and HR(not really sure who contacted him) the person told my boss that if I ask how they found out to tell me that it is confidential. That makes me think that some other employee found out and told HR about it maybe because they don't want me working there. Do I have a right to know how my employer found out about my conviction ?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Employment Law
3/2/2016
Employment Lawyer: Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

No, there is no express right requiring the employer to divulge that information by law. If you were suing them for some other reason related to discrimination and the issue of who told them was relevant, then they'd have to tell you during the lawsuit, but right now there is not any independent right for you to know their source. That isn't even true in a criminal law setting where you would have more legal protections than when you are dealing with a private employer.

If you have any further questions, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a top-three rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required. If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care and have a great day.