Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I'll begin with background and then ask my question.

Customer Question
Good morning, I'll begin with background...
Good morning,
BACKGROUND:
I worked for a large pharma company for 15 years, 1 of the top 10 world wide. Great reviews for the first 10 years, the timeline here is the last 5 years of my employment. A re-org in my department landed me reporting to 1 "supervisor" which I was his only direct report even though the reorganization was to ensure all supervision and management lvl's had 8 direct reports. During the time I reported to him I was verbally abused (which I electronic evidence of). I took him to HR over the issues and presented the proof, to my amazement it was turned around on me by our department manager, remediation ended up with my supervisor going to a supervisor training course internally yet he remained my supervisor. He and worked separately for about 3 months after that on a major project, when we were done with the projects he buried me in work that could not be completed on time due to a mathematical increase of 200% in 1 area of my position without modifying due dates. Meetings were held where he was told by others that it was too much work for 1 person, the increased work load became a part of my position. A few other small things which are not provable due them being verbal happened. I began to receive rations of poor based due to not being able to complete assignments by their due dates. The supervisor was also, pardon the phrase - buried up the managers butt. Due to the history of verbal abuse and his general treatment of me I have no doubts he trashed me to our manager. I was ready to go back HR about the treatment after I had enough hard evidence over time when he took a new position in another campus so I let it go. Reported to our manager after that who I caught in a lie which ticked her off and cemented me on her crap list. I ended up seeing a therapist due to the stress she was causing me and I was told to take off 3 months under fmla. I did, when I returned it was any better, and a month after returning I was put on reallocation 1 week after a larger group was put on reallocation, those employees where in line for a set number of positions which I also applied for but was told the positions were already spoken for and they weren't interviewing anyone. I was the guy left without a chair. I had to take a severance package.
QUESTION:
In that package there was a legal document stating that by signing it I was releasing the company from any future legal action.
Is that 100 percent binding? Second question, can you bring a civil case on a former boss?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Employment Law
3/1/2016
Employment Lawyer: Attorney2020, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Attorney2020
Attorney2020, Lawyer

By signing it, the document is legal. Companies encourage employees to sign the documents to limit liability exposure in the future. As for suing a former boss, yes, You can sue a former boss for harassment in most states but typically employees sue the company instead of the boss because the company would likely be liable for the boss' unlawful activity as the company has the deep pockets.

I hope that helped. Please ask any follow-up questions. Please rate my answer so that I may be credited for my time. I thank you in advance or your cooperation.

Please rate my answer so that I may be credited for my time. I thank you in advance for your cooperation. Thanks.