Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
60109343

If a company makes you go to a mandatory safety meeting does

Customer Question

If a company makes you go to a mandatory safety meeting does it have to be logged if you are a commercial driver and do the have to compensate for it?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

Are you paid salary, or by the hour? I very much look forward to helping you on this matter.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1099 contractot

Thank you. And does your contract specify that you shall be paid by the hour, the job, or how exactly?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Percentage
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They're not having drivers log those or random drug screens and trying to get them to do online trading courses without compensation

Thanks again.

As a contractor, your compensation is governed strictly by the terms of your agreement. Your employer is not bound by minimum wage laws, overtime laws, nor do they have to pay you by the hour. So, if your contract only entitles you to a percentage of jobs, you would not be entitled to extra pay for safety meetings because your contract does not give you that right. It would be up to you to negotiate that entitlement into future contracts.

I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.