Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Employment/Labor Law Litigation
20011183

I feel like I was wrongfully terminated from work tonight

Customer Question

I feel like I was wrongfully terminated from work tonight and I was wondering if I could take any action
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I live in Kansas so i dont even know if there is anything to support me but anyways. My manager was intoxicated and being confrontational with me and the second time she asked me a question about something I asked someone else and I told her nothing, she persisted in asking me what it was explaining that she was my boss and I had to tell her, finally i said I dont care and I was done talking to her and walked away. Moments later the owner also heavily intoxicated came to let me know I was no longer working there
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Employment Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

Unfortunately, in employment law, unless you have a contract of employment that specifically states you can only be terminated for cause, your employment is "at will." A twill employees can legally be terminated without cause, at any time.

While the facts that you outline here certain describe an unprofessional situation, that does not make it illegal or wrongful termination. Without a contract requiring cause, this termination would be legal.

If you have any further questions, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a top-three rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.