Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I been on my job .And my job theres alot of favoritism and

Customer Question
i been on my job...
i been on my job for 20yrs.And my job theres alot of favoritism and retalliation i tried moving to another dept or different positions that are better paid and somehow i never get the bid or the position instead a person who has half the time and less experience gets it or they happened to know somebody or kiss ass so i go to complain toHR and there a joke they always give me the run around,they never give a straight answer as to how that person gets pick,or who makes the decision, so im stuck in my position even though i tried signing bids to transfer but i never win,at my job theres alot of issues that i and some other people speak up too but we get ignored or we get a target on our back for speaking up,around there theres favoritism,retalliation,and no respect to the workers to give u an example they have a guy thats been there about 6yrs and somehow hes the senior supervisor,because hes one of those kiss asses, and he hasnt even done half the shit ive done for this company,but he has the nerve to tell me i cant get a raise,or if i want to move up that hes gonna evaluate me first, how is he gonna evaluate me if i know more than him been there longer than him so i told him the only reason im not in your position,is because of who you know not what you know,and cause your a kiss ass.and most of them supervisors there are the same they are supervisors because of who they know,not what they know!
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Employment Law
2/26/2016
Employment Lawyer: ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Can you tell me what your question is?

I'm going to have to head out of the office in a bit, so I will assume you're asking if what they're doing is illegal. Unfortunately, unless they're doing this because of your race, age, religion, gender, or disability, it is legal. It's unethical, immoral, and illogical, but it is legal.

You see, Texas is an "at will" employment state. At-will employment means that without a contract, you have no contractual or other right to employment with the company. The company is entitled to fire you for any reason: a good reason, a poor reason, or no reason at all--as long as the company does not fire you for an illegal reason (race, gender, age, religion, etc...). But it extends beyond firing, to hiring, promotions, demotions, wage cuts and raises, disciplinary actions, and even scheduling. Unless you can show that this was done in violation of a contract, union agreement, or a clear violation of an unambiguous and binding clause against the employer, or that it was done because of some minority status (age, race, gender, religion, disability) that you have, then they do have this discretion.

Again, I find it reprehensible, and don't think that companies like that deserve to be around, but it is legal due to the at-will doctrine.

I know this is probably not what you wanted to hear, but it is the law. I hope that clears things up anyway. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

Are you there? Please note that I am still here, awaiting your response or rating... (please note that rating closes this question out, so if there's nothing else, please rate it so that I can assist other customers that are waiting for answers to their questions)

I see that you have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know.If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** good luck to you!

I see that you still have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know.If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** good luck to you!

Hello?

ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer