Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

We have an employee that is here because her husband was…

Customer Question
We have an employee that...
We have an employee that is here because her husband was sponsored by his company. They recently helped him obtain an IED extension. They are converting him to an H1. She will not be able to stay in the country as a spouse and we, as her employer, are looking to know what our options are and the cost involved to keep her here. Please let me know.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Employment Law
2/25/2016
Employment Lawyer: Guillermo Senmartin,
 replied 2 years ago

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 13 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.

What was his previous status that they had him in? L-1A or L-1B? And she is on L-2 with EAD? Does he have an approved I-140? If not, does she have a bachelor's degree and is that type of bachelor's degree related to the position she currently holds with you?

Employment Lawyer: Guillermo Senmartin,
 replied 2 years ago

I do not know why you are not responding, but you are not charged per question, per response, nor per answer. So after I give you my answer, you can continue to ask me questions without additional charge until you are satisfied. I apologize if it is a site issue that you posted and the post did not go through.

If he has an approved I-140, she can do a change of status to H-4 and apply for a work permit. She cannot work during the period that her husband changes to H-1B and before her work permit is approved. So there may be a period of time that she cannot work.

If he does not have an approved I-140 but she does have a bachelor's degree or equivalent, she can try for her own H-1B. The information on the H-1B is basically that she must have a job offer, the job offer must be for a company that is offering a position that is related to her degree and experience. The position must also normally require a bachelors degree or higher. The company must have a need for someone in that position and must have the resources to be able to pay her what is normally paid to someone in that position. All these things must be provable with financials, business plan, etc. Also, because they are used up for this year, she will need to apply on April 1, 2016 to start working on October 1, 2016 or later. The exception is if she applies for a cap-exempt job and those are at an institution of higher education or its affiliated or related nonprofit entities or a nonprofit research organization, or a government research organization. Those are not subject to this numerical cap.

Here is a link:

http://www.uscis.gov/working-united-states/temporary-workers/h-1b-specialty-occupations-dod-cooperative-research-and-development-project-workers-and-fashion-models

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! When we are done, if you would be so kind as to leave a positive rating for my service, I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. You can even ask additional questions without additional charge even after leaving a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding.

Employment Lawyer: Guillermo Senmartin,
 replied 2 years ago

Hello. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!

Employment Lawyer: Guillermo Senmartin,
 replied 2 years ago

Hello. I'm just following up with you again to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!