Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I was just off from my job after 27 years of service, they…

Customer Question
I was just laid off...
I was just laid off from my job after 27 years of service, they said my job was "eliminated" yet I've seen two posting and between the two posting it covers most everything I used to do. I've never had a bad review, I've never been written up so I feel I was laid off because of my age, I just turned 50 in August. The CFO has said she wants to change the face of the company by hiring young, athletic, pretty women. Do you think I have an age decimation case and/or wrongful termination? Even though I was doing my job and getting it done on time with no complaints, I do not have a college degree and I the company was on a big trip in only wanted individuals with a degree, even to answer phones.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Employment Law
2/24/2016
Employment Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 2 years ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If you believe it was because of your age and you are indeed over 40, if they are posting the job, then they are likely just using the alleged elimination of the job as a pretext for discrimination against you because of your age. So, your next step is filing a complaint to the EEOC regarding the age discrimination and statements of the CFO about hiring younger women and your alleged elimination when they are still advertising for the job and as such their claims of elimination are merely a pretext for discrimination based on age contrary to the Age Discrimination in Employment Act. The EEOC has to investigate and grant you a right to sue letter for you to proceed against the employer in court.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney