Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Can an employer drop an employee's supplemental life

Customer Question
insurance without notifying the employee...
Can an employer drop an employee's supplemental life insurance without notifying the employee that the coverage would be eliminated? Apparently you are only eligible for supplemental life if you are employed full-time but I was not informed that I would lose that benefit by decreasing the number of FTE I was working. All of my other benefits were unaffected.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Employment Law
2/24/2016
Employment Lawyer: John, Employment Lawyer replied 2 years ago
John, Employment Lawyer

The employer itself doesn't have a legal responsibility to tell you that your coverage would be eliminated if so many hours per week aren't met. The plan the employer purchases is responsible under the law to provide a written plan or summary plan description that links you to the full plan document. In that plan document there must be listed the minimum requirements for plan participants. It could be possible that you have a claim against the plan under the Employee Retirement Income Security Act if you were not provided access to the plan through a summary plan description or the full plan document which explains the participant eligibility requirements. If that's the case, you should contact either the Department of Labor or a benefits attorney to litigate the violation.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as itis the only way I am able to get credit for my answers. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.

I am sending you this follow-up to determine if you require further assistance with your matter. I believe I have answered your question to the best of my abilities. I truly enjoy helping others with my knowledge and experience, and I believe I provide a valuable service. If you agree that my response was of value to you, please support my endeavor to share my knowledge by providing a positive rating. You have already been charged the full amount for your question. Providing a positive rating will not cost you any additional charge, but it will permit the website to credit me with answering your question. Otherwise, the website does not credit me with answering your question. Thanks.