How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Allen M., Esq. Your Own Question
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 19221
Experience:  Employment/Labor Law Litigation
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Allen M., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was asked to involuntarily resign from a job in Texas that

Customer Question

I was asked to involuntarily resign from a job in Texas that began and ran from 9/15-1/25/16. I had to file for unemployment in Maryland since that is my last job. Am I now allowed to file for Texas unemployment
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

You can file in Texas to have them facilitate your unemployment if that is where you are living, yes. If you also worked in Texas, they have part of your unemployment funds too. This is one of those odd situations where you have unemployment funds located in two separate states, due to your base period having been worked in two different locations.

So, the two separate unemployment offices need to coordinate with each other and the one more local to you will have to facilitate your applications, as you'll be looking for work in that state. This something that unemployment offices are used to doing, because there are plenty of times where a person loses a job in one state and then decides, for whatever reason, to move to another state for their job search.

I won't say that they'll excitedly cooperate. You may have to keep after them until they get things fully set up between the two states, but you should definitely file in Texas to have them facilitate both unemployment periods if that is where you plan to job search.

If you have any further questions, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a top-three rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required. If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care and have a great day.