Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Employment/Labor Law Litigation
20011183

I was asked to involuntarily resign from a job in Texas that

Customer Question

I was asked to involuntarily resign from a job in Texas that began and ran from 9/15-1/25/16. I had to file for unemployment in Maryland since that is my last job. Am I now allowed to file for Texas unemployment
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

You can file in Texas to have them facilitate your unemployment if that is where you are living, yes. If you also worked in Texas, they have part of your unemployment funds too. This is one of those odd situations where you have unemployment funds located in two separate states, due to your base period having been worked in two different locations.

So, the two separate unemployment offices need to coordinate with each other and the one more local to you will have to facilitate your applications, as you'll be looking for work in that state. This something that unemployment offices are used to doing, because there are plenty of times where a person loses a job in one state and then decides, for whatever reason, to move to another state for their job search.

I won't say that they'll excitedly cooperate. You may have to keep after them until they get things fully set up between the two states, but you should definitely file in Texas to have them facilitate both unemployment periods if that is where you plan to job search.

If you have any further questions, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a top-three rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required. If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care and have a great day.