How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 118708
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was targeted at my former job by the manager of the

Customer Question

I was targeted at my former job by the manager of the department I worked because I was helping the employees with their daily duties. I seen a patient die in front of me and I watched the doctors, nurses, and people cover up the patients death and I called a few people on what was done so the manager discontinued my employment on the unit. She also with held money that I worked. She Also banned me from the hospital
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Your employer cannot withhold your wages, it is a violation of the Fair Labor Standards Act and you must file a complaint with the US Department of Labor Wage and Hour Division and you can seek up to three times your wages due plus attorney's fees for willful and malicious non-payment of wages.
If your employer was targeting ONLY because of your age/race/sex/disability/national origin, THEN you have a legal claim to make against the employer as an at will employee. Unless you can prove that your employer did this only for one of those reasons, then as an at will employee the employer could terminate you at any time for any other reason and your only recourse is collection of unemployment. If there is evidence that this was done only because of your age/race/sex/disability/national origin, then you must file a complaint with the EEOC and they must give you a right to sue letter in order for you to proceed to court.