Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

We are firing a person who has been on workers comp past 3…

Customer Question
We are firing a person...
We are firing a person who has been on workers comp for the past 3 weeks. The termination is not due to the claim, but rather, from her work and existence in the office, how do i terminate this employee correctly?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Employment Law
2/22/2016
Employment Lawyer: John, Employment Lawyer replied 2 years ago
John, Employment Lawyer

The trick here is that it is not legal to terminate someone because he/she is on or about to go on to workers compensation. I understand you are terminating her because of her work performance, which is legal, but will a judge, jury or even an attorney she tries to retain to sue you quickly understand that? Thus the key is to have sufficient evidence on file to support it was for performance reasons. You'll hopefully have performance reviews, write-ups, counseling etc. on file. You'll likewise, want to send her a detailed letter with her termination that explains exactly what she did wrong and why that is resulting in her termination at this time.

She is coming in today to speak with is. What is the best way to phrase it to her?

Review the particular instances of sub-par performance with her, and/or draft a letter reviewing the same, and go over it with her and explain that for these reasons she is terminated from employment.

would it be correct for her to sign a release of claims?

You'd have to be willing to either have the company release claims against her (i.e., a mutual release) or pay her some money for the release. In other words things of value (consideration) must be given by both sides to make it a valid release agreement. If the company has no arguable claims against her, it would have to be cash consideration. Also, a release cannot by law release her workers comp claim or a future unemployment claim (for when she gets off workers compensation).

P.S., If you'd like for me to draft a release document that is enforceable under NY law, let me know and I can submit an offer for additional services to you.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as itis the only way I am able to get credit for my answers. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.

Thanks

You're welcome. Please leave a positive rating before you exit this chat as it is the only way I get credit for my answers. If you have any questions in the future regarding this matter come back to this thread and I'll be happy to answer. Thanks and good luck with the matter.

I am sending you this follow-up to determine if you require further assistance with your matter. I believe I have answered your question to the best of my abilities. I truly enjoy helping others with my knowledge and experience, and I believe I provide a valuable service. If you agree that my response was of value to you, please support my endeavor to share my knowledge by providing a positive rating. You have already been charged the full amount for your question. Providing a positive rating will not cost you any additional charge, but it will permit the website to credit me with answering your question. Otherwise, the website does not credit me with answering your question. Thanks.