Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I am just looking, just in case. I am 70 years of age and…

Customer Question
I am just looking...

I am just looking, just in case. I am 70 years of age and was wondering if and how I will be protected in the work place.

Lawyer's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Not at this time. I will be going back to work Wednesday. I need information on what I should not do, say and other issues.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Employment Law
2/21/2016
Employment Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 2 years ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Older workers are protected by the Age Discrimination in Employment Act, which states the employer cannot treat an employee differently based on them being 40+ years of age. So they cannot treat you differently than any other employee based only on your age.
Also, if you have a permanent disability, you are entitled to a reasonable accommodation for your disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act.
You should act just like every other employee and not expect to be treated any differently than any other employee because of your age. If they do treat you different because of your age, even if they are treating you better because of your age, that is a violation of the ADEA.