Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I reported on a manager that has an inappropriate

Customer Question
relationship with an employee -...
I reported on a manager that has an inappropriate relationship with an employee - she is the warehouse and he is the head manager in the building - I reported on her because she is a problem - she thinks she runs everything - I approached the manager twice about this - nothing changed. He found out it was me that reported and now has told me he wants my resignation. What should be my next step.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Employment Law
2/21/2016
Employment Lawyer: Dwayne B., Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts.

Unfortunately, since Texas has some of the strongest pro-employer laws your next step should be to hire a local employment law attorney to help you negotiate the issue.

Texas allows an employer to terminate an employee for any reason other than one such as discrimination due to race, age, gender or the like. Reporting an unprofessional relationship is not a protected area of the law. Therefore, your lawyer has to find a reason that is protected, such as linking this to gender discrimination. There is also a law against an employer terminating an employee due to matters "against public policy". Usually this means something like an unlawful act of the employer (ex. reporting fraud in a government contract). It may be that the lawyer can take a look at your specific facts and tie them in with an "against public policy" exception but that would be unusual.

Any type of discrimination claim must be first addressed by filing a charge of discrimination with the EEOC. That is mandatory or else any subsequent lawsuit will be dismissed.

Please ask any follow up questions in this thread.

I am also a supervisor and the company is UPS. She is hourly. That make any difference?

No, none of those facts change anything about the answers I gave above.

Dwayne B.
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer