Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I was fired from a employer that had a retirement plan. The…

Customer Question
I was fired from a...
I was fired from a employer that had a retirement plan. The reason I was fired because of a medical issue that I happen while at work which I am a seeing a doctor to try to determine what happen. Once I determine what is causing my problem will be able to go on disability through my retirement plan?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Employment Law
2/21/2016
Employment Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 2 years ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Yes, you may be able to go on your former employer's disability benefits plan if you meet the employer's eligibility requirements. You would need to check with the Human Resources Department for the specific requirements. Otherwise, you may have to apply for Social Security disability benefits if you have contributed to the Social Security system.