John, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Exclusively practice labor and employment law.
71296933

They have taken out the time clocks where I am employed,alot

Customer Question

they have taken out the time clocks where I am employed,alot of us now have to walk halfway through the warehouse to get to our lockers and get our IPad out ,get it to power-up ,than log in to start our work time . Is this legal for removing time clocks and making us punch in on our IPads?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

Given the recent ruling in the Supreme Court case (Integrity Staffing vs Busk)(a/k/a the amazon warehouse case where workers punched out then had to wait in a long line to be screened before leaving) I'd opine that this practice is legal. First, there is no requirement that an employer use a time clock. Second the portal to portal act require that acts that are not integral to work are not compensable. The taks of walking to the locker and getting the IPAD booted up doesn't appear to be compensable under this new Supreme Court precedent. I don't believe a court or department of labor could rule in your favor given this.

Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

I am sending you this follow-up to determine if you require further assistance with your matter. I believe I have answered your question to the best of my abilities. I truly enjoy helping others with my knowledge and experience, and I believe I provide a valuable service. If you agree that my response was of value to you, please support my endeavor to share my knowledge by providing a positive rating. You have already been charged the full amount for your question. Providing a positive rating will not cost you any additional charge, but it will permit the website to credit me with answering your question. Otherwise, the website does not credit me with answering your question. Thanks.