Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I work cleaning company and we clean movie theaters I work

Customer Question
I work for a cleaning...
I work for a cleaning company and we clean movie theaters I work directly with the company and they cover up things by calling me a district manager and a sub contractor.
I have to answer my phone 24 hrs a day. The workers get paid like 600 dollars every 2 weeks and they work 8 days a week.. I have been with the company about 20 yrs and about 4 yrs ago they took a lot of my pay away so they can hire someone else which she's also illegal and they pay her more than me. I have documentation of everything. My question is can I sue them for a few things. Also my health is starting to go bad because of all the stress.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Employment Law
2/20/2016
Employment Lawyer: Christopher B, Esq., Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Christopher B, Esq.

My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

Federal law prohibits all employee harassment. Harassment is any unwelcome conduct based on gender, age, race or color, religion, national origin, or disability. The conduct must either be a condition of continued employment or so serve and continuous that a reasonable person would find it abusive or intimidating. The victim does not have to be the target the of the unwelcome conduct. The victim might simply be offended by such harassing behavior directed at another employee. A harassment victim an file a legal complaint against the employer and, under some circumstances, can sue the employer for monetary damages.

Texas is an at-will employment state. An employer can usually fire an employee for any reason at any time. A major exception exists when an employment contract exists between which limits the employer's ability to terminate the employment relationship at will. Additionally, employers may not fire an employee for an illegal reason, such as discrimination based on age, race, or gender, or in retaliation for filing an employment-related complaint against the company for workers' compensation, an unsafe work environment, or discrimination.

Basically what you described is not prohibited behavior unless it is based on race, gender or age among some other small exceptions. Texas is an at-will state and they can fire you or cut your hours for no reason whatsoever subject to the exceptions I already mentioned.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated for my time by the site. Thank you in advance.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I guess I not explaining it right. I may try again tomorrow.Thank you

It is very difficult to win claims such ashort this as employers can do what they want minus discrimination. Of course they can not pay you less than minimum wage, etc. Buthis they can pay others more and cut your pay and hours at will. That is without a contract. Let me know if you have clarifications.

Just checking back in,do you have any further questions?

Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Lawyer