Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I'm a contractor employed by a recruiting agency. I just

Customer Question

I'm a contractor employed by a recruiting agency. I just received notice that the recruiting company is offering healthcare coverage. I do not need it because I am covered under separate insurance. The paperwork they provide says that I can waive the coverage, but that I am still required to give them mine and my husband's private information (SSN, height, weight, medical issues, primary physician and more) that I am uncomfortable giving since they will never be covering me. They are making it a requirement of employment that I give this information. Am I required to provide this information? Or can I simply waive the insurance coverage without having to provide my PHI?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.

If the information is being requested in conjunction with insurance coverage and you have elected not to get the coverage, then, legally, you do not have to provide the information being requested. You need to let the recruiter know that you are not going to provide the information because you do not need the insurance.