Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
10285032

I terminated employment on 2/6. My employer withheld the

Customer Question

I terminated employment on 2/6. My employer withheld the cost of Health Insurance for the full month of February at 100% of the premium. Normally the employer paid 50% of the premium. Is this legal?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Legally, the employer does not have to pay their share of the insurance premium when the employee is not still employed. So once the employee stops working there, the employer is legally able to charge the employee the employer's share of the premium. There is no law that stops the employer from doing this and no law that mandates the employer to pay for the employee's benefit at all.