Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I terminated employment on 2/6. My employer withheld the…

Customer Question
I terminated employment on 2/6...
I terminated employment on 2/6. My employer withheld the cost of Health Insurance for the full month of February at 100% of the premium. Normally the employer paid 50% of the premium. Is this legal?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Employment Law
2/17/2016
Employment Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 2 years ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Legally, the employer does not have to pay their share of the insurance premium when the employee is not still employed. So once the employee stops working there, the employer is legally able to charge the employee the employer's share of the premium. There is no law that stops the employer from doing this and no law that mandates the employer to pay for the employee's benefit at all.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney