Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

My income is not reported to social security. I would like…

Customer Question
My income is not...

My income is not reported to social security. I would like to apply to unemployment again with my income being reflected correctly on my social security but it doesn't. this was a full time job that i was fired from not for misconduct but for bad work performance that I believe doesn't disqualify me. Also, I have a subbing certificate but I don't know if this will disqualify me because this is another job I could do. But it still concerns me that my income is not accurately reflected on my social security for mcdonalds and for my office job prior to subbing. what does it mean? I want it to count for retirement because it was over a year of work at the office.

Lawyer's Assistant: Got it. The Employment Lawyer will know how to help you. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Employment Lawyer can help you best. Is there anything else important you think the Employment Lawyer should know?

Maybe he needs more specific information i would be willing to provide but for now that is the information generally

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Employment Law
i have as proof the checks that i have received from the office employment reflected on my bank accounts but on the unemployment $0 got reported for the office job that is obviously wrong and i even provided documentation to the unemployment workers that i was receiving those payments as an employee for the company. also for mcdonalds.
2/17/2016
Employment Lawyer: John, Employment Lawyer replied 2 years ago
John, Employment Lawyer

If you have a dispute with social security's reporting of your income you can fix that here: https://faq.ssa.gov/link/portal/34011/34019/Article/3853/How-do-I-correct-my-earnings-record

But I'm going to tell you that your social security reported earnings have no bearing on whether you qualify for unemployment. To get unemployment you must simply have enough work credits and income within the first four of the last five work quarters - this is also called you "base period". Employers must report your income and pay a tax to the state unemployment fund as a percentage of your income on a quarterly basis; this is separate from what is reported to social security. Thus, to get unemployment you'd simply have to apply and see what they determine are your earnings in your base period, and, if you disagree with what they claim are your earnings, then you should protest that finding. In any event you'd have to change your earnings records at both agencies - unemployment and social security...changing them at one does not alter the other.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as itis the only way I am able to get credit for my answers. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.

i did make enough for the base period. I can say my income was $680 per 2 weeks so for the year it was $15,000 about. that it does qualify me according to their website that I read if I remember correctly. My income is that and it shows as if I had made $0. I had sent them all the proof of all my checks and they still put I earned $0. That is incorrect. And also you didn't answer the part of the question about my other employment on call as a sub if that would disqualify me for unemployment because it's a job but it's not really steady employment.
Employment Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 2 years ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
I am a DIFFERENT CONTRIBUTOR.
First, why is your income not reported to SSA?
Second, did your employer withhold unemployment tax on your pay?