Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I am being demoted, according to county policy I have 15…

Customer Question
I am being demoted, according...
I am being demoted, according to county policy I have 15 days to appeal to the county manager. When I was presented with this on monday, I said I had to think about it. I was told to give my answer within 2 days. Today is the second day. How can I accept it and appeal it? I was told that if I did not accept it that was my resignation. I don't see how they can say that.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Employment Law
2/17/2016
Employment Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 2 years ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If there is county policy giving you 15 days to appeal, then they cannot give you only 2 days to decide to appeal. You can accept the demotion and you should not sign anything waiving appeal rights. If you have to sign, you sign your name and put "with reservation of all rights" next to your signature. Read the document make sure it does not say you waive your right to appeal, it should not generally. If it does and they will not take that out, then you need to tell them in writing you are not agreeing to waive your appeal and are not resigning.
At this point though, I would seek your attorney to file the appeal immediately.