Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

State of Oklahoma Member of Railroad Union Do you have to be…

Customer Question
State of Oklahoma Member of Railroad...
State of Oklahoma
Member of Railroad Union
Do you have to be reprimanded a certain number of times for something before they can fire you if you have never been in trouble before or can they fire you on the first offense?
Especially if over several years people have been playing practical jokes on each each other and no one has ever been reprimanded. All the bosses were aware that jokes were be played but no one ever said anything until I got in trouble.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Employment Law
2/16/2016
Employment Lawyer: Attorney2020, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Attorney2020
Attorney2020, Lawyer

Is there an employee manual describing the amount of reprimands necessary to termination?

I haven't seen anything saying there is but my cousin works at an assisted living place and she said the law is that you have to be written up twice and then the third time they can fire you because they do it that way where she works. They have wanted to fire people before but couldn't because the administrator had given then oral reprimands but since she didn't do it and have them and have the employee sign it - they didn't get to fire that employee. She said because they had never reprimanded anyone it was like the company was encouraging a environment of - she had some name for it - I can't remember what she called it now - but it had been going on for years - everybody played pranks on everyone and no one ever said anything- they all laughed along but now it seems like they are making an example out of me. I'm the only one to get in trouble but everyone was doing it.

Do you believe you are being treated different because of your race, age, religion or disability?

No

Okay. The law does not consider pranks, or bullying to be illegal under the eyes of the law. I sense the employees are being mean and possibly rude but unless the rudeness or meanness is based upon race, age, religion or disability it is not illegal conduct.

I hope that helped. Please ask any follow-up questions. Please rate my answer so that I may be credited for my time. I thank you in advance for your cooperation.

I hope that helped. Please ask any follow-up questions. Please rate my answer so that I may be credited for my time. I thank you in advance for your cooperation. Thank you.