How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillips Esq. Your Own Question
Phillips Esq.
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 19134
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Phillips Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

To whom it may concern: I am currently having an issue with

Customer Question

To whom it may concern:
I am currently having an issue with my employer and union representation. I was given an employee consultation for a major offense stating: "Failure to report or call in within two hours of the start of a shift". My shift was 10:00-6:30, and I placed a call to notify management I would be late at around 11:30. I showed up to work at 1:15. Management and union representation are arguing that I should be at work no later than 2 hours after the start of my shift. However, that is not what this offense states.
I feel that I am being discriminated against for an unknown reason. What are your thoughts, and what legal action can I take, if any?
Thank you for your time.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.

You need to file a formal grievance process to straighten this out. If you were written up for not calling in within two hours of your start time, which is not correct because you called in at 11:30 within one and half hour of your start time, then the write-up/consultation is false and must be stricken from your personnel records. Writing you up for allegedly not calling in on time, but then berating you for coming in more than two hours later does not make sense. You would need a third party to intervene by filing a formal grievance process.

Best wishes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My union will not file a grievance on my behalf. What options do I have now?