Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

A new employee quit instead of working on the weekend to…

Customer Question
A new employee quit instead...
A new employee quit instead of working on the weekend to start the busiest week of the year so far. She called a number she knew no one would pick up and left a message. There is some evidence she knew ahead of time she would refuse weekend work after being told it was a condition of her hire, which she agreed to. She ignored a call to come in the previous weekend and would not acknowledge receiving the call. Am I obligated to pay her the last week? She was part time, she worked 5 weeks and gave no notice.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Employment Law
2/14/2016
Employment Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 2 years ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You must pay her for all hours worked, even though she is legally a no call no show, which is good cause for you to fight her unemployment if she files for unemployment. Even though an employee quits and does so under these circumstances, they are still entitled to pay for all hours worked under the Fair Labor Standards Act or they can sue the employer for double the money they are due. You only need to pay for hours actually worked though by law.