Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

If I filed a discrimination complaint in 3/2015 with

Customer Question
Montgomery County. I have...
If I filed a discrimination complaint in 3/2015 with Montgomery County. I have yet to receive an outcome. I filed another complaint this past month which I believe is retaliation to the original complaint. This Friday I felt intimidated by the manager I filed a complaint against.Can I file a suit with a lawyer because I have yet to have an outcome to the original complaint?
Terri
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Employment Law
2/14/2016
Employment Lawyer: Dwayne B., Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts.

With whom did you file the discrimination complaint?

Also, what type of discrimination are you alleging (race, age, gender, etc.)?

With Montgomery County MD EEOC. Racial discrimination was first complaint. 2nd was retaliation.

No, you can't sue until you get the "right to sue" letter from the EEOC. If you do then the judge will just dismiss the case and quite possibly award the other side's attorney's fees against you for a frivolous filing since the law requires you to wait until you have "exhausted all administrative remedies" before filing suit.

If you have an additional complaint then you want to file and add it to the EEOC complaint as well. If you don't then the other side will try to get that allegation dismissed since the EEOC didn't get a chance to look at it.