Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I have worked company years. They asked me if I would like…

Customer Question
i have worked for this...
i have worked for this company for four years. They asked me if I would like to learn how to do the paperwork and the deposits I told them yes. I have making the deposits for a couple of years now. on Friday Feb.12,2016 The office manager came in and did the bank statements and found that on Oct. 15,2015 there was no record of a deposit. I have made the deposit well they didn't believe me and accused me of taking the money. They have not taken action on this matter yet but the way they are treating me as of that day is awful. They are being ugly and talking down to me. They also own another store and bringing other employees sown to my store to do the work that I have been doing for the last four years. I really don't what to think at this point. What can I do if they fire me for this matter? Thank you for your time on this matter.
Head clerk
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Employment Law
2/14/2016
Employment Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply,but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Can you tell me what state this is in?

.

Are you under any type of written fixed term employment contract?

.

.

thanks

The state of Florida. No I am not.

Ok, thank you for that info.

.

Unfortunately, under FL law unless you are a governmental employee or are under an employment contract, all employment in FL is considered "at will". What this means is that an employee can quit or an employer can fire or change the terms of employment (change hours, location, duties, pay, etc.) at any time for any or no reason at all.

.

So they could decide to fire you, or you quit, at any time at all for any or no reason..

.

However, if they were to fire you, you could claim unemployment benefits unless they could prove that you were guilty of some kind of misconduct so as to disqualify you from receiving benefits.

.

I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy...

.

.

thanks