Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

If I have a text message from my HR Mgr and direct

Customer Question
supervisor agreeing to a severance...
If I have a text message from my HR Mgr and direct supervisor agreeing to a severance, can the owner go against what was agreed now that the HR Mgr was fired ?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Employment Law
2/13/2016
Employment Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 2 years ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, a text message is not a signed agreement and the manager cannot bind the owner to such an agreement without a signed agreement. Text message is not accepted in TN courts as a signed agreement I am afraid. So the owner can indeed refuse to grant any severance unless you have a signed contractual agreement already.