Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Can I terminate an employee for harassment accusations

Customer Question
can I terminate an employee...
can I terminate an employee for sexual harassment accusations without a warning
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Employment Law
2/12/2016
Employment Lawyer: Patrick, Esq., Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Patrick, Esq.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

Employment in the state of CA is "at will" absent an express agreement to the contrary. At will employment can be terminated for any reason not amounting to discrimination on the basis of a legally protected trait (race, religion, gender, etc.) or retaliation for engaging in certain forms of legally protected conduct (filing a wage claim, taking FMLA leave, etc.). It doesn't matter whether the basis for termination is fair, reasonable or even true.

Thus, there is nothing illegal about terminating an employee without warning due to sexual harassment allegations. It wouldn't even matter if the allegations later turned out to be false. You just want to make sure to pay the employee all of their final earned wages, along with any accrued vacation and PTO, immediately upon separation of employment.

I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.

Are you still with me?