Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

QUICK QUESTION IF I HAVE BEEN WORKING A JOB YRS AND ITS BEEN…

Customer Question
QUICK QUESTION IF I HAVE...
QUICK QUESTION IF I HAVE BEEN WORKING A JOB FOR 2 YRS AND ITS BEEN AT A SALARY RATE. THE COMPANY WANT TO TURN MY JOB INTO AN HOURLY POSITION AND TAKE MY BENIFITS AND BONUS AWAY AND CUT HOURS WITH 2 DAYS NOTICE, IS THAT A LEGAL THING TO DO. MORE LESS THEY SAID I CAN ACCEPT THIS OR QUIT. THEY WILL NOT FIRE ME. IS THIS LEGAL?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/11/2016
Employment Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer

Unless you have a contract, it is legal. Howevever, if they do so because of your age, race, or nationality it is illegal. same with gender.

Also, if they cut pay significantly, that is considered a termination without cause and a constructive termination. You can file for unemployment benefits on that basis.

I am in NY. Kindly let me know if that is fast and clear.

I CANT SURVIVE WITHTHIS PAY CUT BONUS A MONTH IS 200+ A MONTH AND THE PAY CUT A WAAK IS 100

You can negotiate or file for benefits and look for anew position based on the material change/reduction in benefits.

Kindly let me know if that is clear.