Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I am an Indiana resident and worked in IL until November of…

Customer Question
I am an Indiana resident...
I am an Indiana resident and worked in IL until November of last year and just got fired from the job I was at which was in Indiana. How do I go about seeking unemployment?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Employment Law
2/11/2016
Employment Lawyer: Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

If I understand correctly, you were last employed in Indiana though you previously were working in Illinois? You would file in Indiana, as that is where you reside now, so they need to process and guide your unemployment application. You would list the job that you were terminated from, but you'd also list the Illinois employer too as a base period employer. The state would then contact Illinois to get any unemployment funds from them. States have agreements with each other to reciprocate when a person from one state moves to another and there are base period employers in different states. File in Indiana and they will sort it out. If they say that you weren't employed long enough in Indiana, then file in Illinois and tell them that you want to transfer it to Indiana as you plan to seek work there.

If you have any further questions, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a top-three rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required. If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care and have a great day.

Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer