Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

My name is ***** *****. I have questions about how a DUI…

Customer Question
Hi. My name is...

Hi. My name is ***** ***** Ann. I have questions about how a DUI affects my Respiratory Care License and employment. Does this service cost?

Lawyer's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

After you tell me if there is a charge for this

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Employment Law
I got a DUI in March of 2015, convicted in June 2015. I never reported this to my employer or the TX board of Respiratory Care. Everything was going along ok until I messed up by not reporting on a regular basis to work detail which was a part of my deal. As a result I was arrested for that and put in jail for a week. At that point, I was unable to call in to my job and so I had a friend do it for me. My manager ended up getting HR involved and they said it was No Call, No Show and job abandonment and I lost my job. I have just recently started applying for a new job. I have been honest on my applications when the question of whether I have been convicted of a misdemeanor or felony comes up I always say yes. Bot***** *****ne is I am not being called for any interviews. I don't know if having a misdemeanor would mean I would have my license revoked in Texas or not since I haven't contacted them. Obviously, all employers are going to hire someone without a criminal record over someone who has one, but I basically just need to know if I am totally wasting my time in trying to get another job in respiratory or not. Any help you can provide would be appreciated. Thank you
2/8/2016
Employment Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

DUIs have to be reported to the board so they can determine what disciplinary action, if any, to take. It may not automatically result in having your license suspended or terminated, but not reporting it could wind up getting you in more trouble. Try calling the board at(###) ###-####to see if they suspend/revoke licenses for a DUI. (You can always hang up if they insist on getting your information and you feel uncomfortable). This is not information they make publicly available, which suggests that anyone with a respiratory care license who is convicted of a crime will be reviewed on a case by case basis.

The Board will probably cite you and issue you a fine. But I wonder if not reporting the crime is also affecting your ability to get an interview, since potential employers would check to see if you've ever been disciplined by the board.