Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Off from Lockheed after 36 years of service. male 59.5 years…

Customer Question
Laid off from Lockheed Martin...
Laid off from Lockheed Martin after 36 years of service. White male 59.5 years old. Prior to lay off date I was asked to interview for a job with Lockheed Martin in California. I interviewed and was selected by the interview panel for the position. Seven weeks went by where I was not looking for a job because I was told I had one. On December 3rd I was told the job was being eliminated. I was screwed over for seven weeks and multiple individuals were involved in this totally unprofessional process where the responsible director admitted fault. What are my options?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Employment Law
There was a corporate ethics investigation which substantiated a failed process.
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/4/2016
Employment Lawyer: Gerald, Esq, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Attorney

Thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

This depends on a number of factors. Take an objective look at who was laid off and who was not. If you can assert that more older workers were the subject of the layoffs you may have a valid discrimination complaint.

You can file a dual federal EEOC complaint and Georgia Human Relations Complaint. You may also be abe to sustain a complaint with the California Human Relations Commission if you can assert the California Job was eliminated on a pretext to avoid offering the position to you. Both state agencies have an agreement with the EEOC to coordinate investigations. This means you can file one complaint with Georgia and one with California and check the box that you want the complaint to be forwarded to the EEOC

There is no cost to you to file the compalint, and the state agency can serve as a mediator to resolve the issue with your former employer.

Here is the Georgia agency:

http://www.atlantaga.gov/index.aspx?page=138

You can find the local California HRC office here:

http://www.usccr.gov/pubs/crd/stateloc/ca.htm

You also may want to consult an employment law attorney to discuss a private action. Most will meet with you to assess your case at little or no cost. Youcan find employment law attorneys here:

http://lawyers.findlaw.com/lawyer/practice/employment-law-employee

I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

I hope the information I have provided is useful to you and that I have earned a positive rating from you. It costs you nothing extra, and is the only way I get credit for my attempt to assist you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.

Good luck,

Please note: Information given is not legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.