Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I was able to wrap up the separation agreement and was

Customer Question
fortunate to find a new...
I was able to wrap up the separation agreement and was fortunate to find a new job quickly. The terms of my separation agreement do not stipulate that it is to be stopped if I get a new job. My question is this: I received email from the CEO of that company (from a personal email) that said essentially if I do not return the severance he will refuse to do business with me or have anything to do with me. In a way, he's bullying me because he/I had discussed starting a new venture called CU-INBOUND.ORG .. and now he's pulling out by intimidating me. Is this allowed by law to ask me to give it back?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Employment Law
2/3/2016
Employment Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 2 years ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello again. Please note: This is general information only for educational purposes only, and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

It is lawful to ask, sure. He can asks all he wants. However unless the contract stipulates that the money is to be paid back if a job is found within "x" amount of days, then someone in your situation does not have to give this back.

However, he is also free not to do business with your future company even if it is out of spite.

Gentle Reminder: Please, use the REPLY or SEND button to keep chatting, or rate positively and SUBMIT your rating when we are finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.

When does it cross into slander? We work in a very tight vertical market?

Only if he starts telling third parties (i.e. not you) falsities about you.

Hello again. I am checking in because you have not rated positively. To me this means you may have another question. Please let me know – I am simply touching base. Thanks!