Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I been on my job 8 years, they take 30 mins out my 8 hour…

Customer Question
I been on my job...
I been on my job for about 8 years, they take 30 mins out my 8 hour day everday for a lunch I donot take, 3 questions 1.is this legal. 2 can I have them stop if it is legal and 3 can I get compensation for the all the time that was taken out
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Employment Law
2/2/2016
Employment Lawyer: retireddebra,
 replied 2 years ago
retireddebra

What province is this please?

Are you in a union?

I live in new york city, and I am not in a union
Employment Lawyer: retireddebra,
 replied 2 years ago

This question is on the Canada law list. I will ask the site to move it to the correct list.

Ok thank you
Employment Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 2 years ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

I been on my job for about 8 years, they take 30 mins out my 8 hour day everday for a lunch I donot take, 3 questions 1.is this legal.

Response 1: No, it is not legal if you did not take the breaks.

2 can I have them stop if it is legal

Response 2: You can make a demand for the deduction to stop and for you to be paid for all hours wrongfully deducted from your earnings.

and 3 can I get compensation for the all the time that was taken out

Response 3: You can make a request to the employer for compensation. If your request is denied or ignored, you can file wage claim with New York State Department of Labor. Click on the links below for information on wage claim and to download the wage claim form:

https://www.labor.ny.gov/workerprotection/laborstandards/workprot/lshmpg.shtm

https://www.labor.ny.gov/formsdocs/wp/LS223.pdf