Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I am leaving my current employer and due a bonus

Customer Question
for 2015 performance. The company...
I am leaving my current employer and due a bonus for 2015 performance. The company policy states you must be employed at the time of payout in March, no exact date is given. The payout this year is substancial so I do noty want to leave it on the table but my new employer is pushing for a start date. I am not sure what to do, HR can`t give may a payout date so I can`t give the new employer a start date. I feel like I`m being held hostage by the payout timing.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/2/2016
Employment Lawyer: Patrick, Esq., Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Patrick, Esq.

Hello and welcome. I am very sorry to hear about your predicament. What is your question here exactly? Also, does your contract state that your employer must pay a bonus in a particular ascertainable sum if certain performance goals are met, or is the bonus discretionary? I very much look forward to helping you on this matter.