Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I was terminated from a bank of Interest a side job they…

Customer Question
I was terminated from a...
I was terminated from a bank for Conflict of Interest for having a side job they stated should have been disclosed. While being interrogated by the Risk dept, I was appalled when it was brought to my attention she was looking at my bank account and made the statement, "You make good money doing____. " There is language in the Code of Ethics which states, “ABC Bank reserves the right to review all team member accounts at any ABC bank or any other subsidiaries or affiliates for unusual activity, both regularly and during investigations.” I had already admitted to having additional income prior to her statement. I feel violated and wondering if there is any legal recourse for invasion of privacy or any other violations? I would also like to add that my understanding of "unusual activity" would include embezzlement, money laundering or the like. If I would have seen this statement when I was hired on to the bank, I would have immediately closed my account, as well as asked for additional explanation.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Employment Law
2/2/2016
Employment Lawyer: Patrick, Esq., Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Patrick, Esq.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. I am very sorry to hear that you were let go.

While I can certainly appreciate your concern and frustration with what happened, I must unfortunately tell you that I see no violation of law upon which a claim for damages can be brought.

First, there is no law that generally restricts a bank from reviewing the accounts of its members. In addition, though, the banks employment policies permit them to do what they did. The fact that you interpret "unusual activity" to exclude investigations over outside employment would not change things. Something "unusual" is anything "not expected," and it would not be expected that you would be holding another job. Again, though, even without this policy in place it would not be illegal for the bank to review your account with the bank. There is no reasonable expectation of privacy that a bank will not review its account holders accounts.

None of this is to say that I don't understand how you feel. I do see how from your perspective this seems like an invasion of privacy and I do appreciate your frustration. However, from a legal standpoint, I would simply be leading you on to suggest that any of this gives rise to a legal claim. Regretfully, it does not.

I hope that you find this information helpful and am genuinely sorry if it is not what you were hoping to hear. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.

Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer