Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

If an employee who works in the state of Texas or New Mexico

Customer Question
on an oilfield location is...
If an employee who works in the state of Texas or New Mexico on an oilfield location is required to stay on site and not leave what is the max amount of hours the employer is legally obligated to pay? This is an employee who works shift work with another employee so they basically work 12-14 hours and then are required to stay on site in a company provided living quarters to sleep. They are also paid a per diem for their food. This employee is not union and gets paid by the hour and gets paid overtime after their 40 hours is reached in the first week. I was told legally you only have to pay them 16 hours a day and the 8 hours unpaid is due to their sleep schedule or rest period...? Is the hours required to pay any different if they are required to leave and sleep in a company provided hotel? Do you have to pay them back and forth from the hotel to the job site also?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Employment Law
2/2/2016
Employment Lawyer: Asad Rahman, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer

They are required to pay you for time worked since they are giving you a stipend and living quarters you are not entitledto paid for those non-working hours. Usually you are not emtitled to commuting pay from hotel to the site either.

If you do not have any further questions, can you kindly rate the answer so I can get credit for the assistance provided?

Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer