Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Former judicial law clerk, lawyer
26798026

I am an employee contracted federal job in Manhattan. I keep

Customer Question

I am an employee for a contracted federal job in Manhattan. I keep being mistreated by my supervisor. Just today he came in slamming the doors in front of me but I'm glad there's a security cam that caught him in action. Another incident he stated that he did not like me in front of another supervisor and employee. I have a perfect attendance record and I am never late but he continues to make negative comments about me behind my back about my work ethics. He seems to be the only with complaints about me. Is there anything that can be done?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

There unfortunately aren't any general workplace bullying laws that require people to be pleasant to each other or stops someone from saying that they don't like each other. In order to have a cause of action, you'd have to be able to establish that he's making false statements (like claiming you're late frequently when you're not) OR you'd have to be able to allege a hostile work environment on the basis of your gender, race, religion, sexual orientation, or member as status of another protected class. Is there any reason at all to think that your supervisor's behavior is based on illegal discrimination?

If there isn't, then the only recourse is to talk to his supervisor or the HR Department so there's a report of his behavior, which lets them determine what action to take.