How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Patrick, Esq. Your Own Question
Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 12613
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Patrick, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I moved to California Sept., 2015. I am a flight attendant

Customer Question

I moved to California Sept., 2015. I am a flight attendant for American Airlines, and effective Jan 31, 2016, I will be based in LAX. My question is: As a resident of CA, and now employed in the state, is AA required under CA law to offer Short Term Disability Insurance to me? I was denied coverage by them while living and working in TX.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

There is no law that says they have to make a private disability insurance policy available to you because you now live in the state of CA. That said, California has a program called State Disability Insurance. All employees pay into this program automatically through deductions from their paychecks. "SDI" pays up to 55% of an employee's regular wages if the employee is suffering from a disability, defined as a medical condition which prohibits them from performing their job for at least 8 consecutive days. You can apply for SDI here. Again, though, you would not have any entitlement to private disability insurance programs offered by your employer because you are now in CA.

I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had lived in CA before, and when moving to Dallas in 2007 I noticed I no longer was covered with SSD. When trying to obtain the coverage again, I was denied by AA based on a health condition. Can you tell me if AA will automatically withdraw charges for SDI, or must I contact them? Also, do I need to contact the state and apply first?
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Apologies for my delay but it has been a hectic Saturday. I'm not sure I really understand what you are asking. You do not pay anything for SDI, you pay into it automatically each paycheck and that's it. It's not up to your employer to deny coverage since it is a state benefit program. You apply through the link I gave you above. I hope this clarifies but if I can be of further assistance please let me know.