Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I would like to know if this is consider as a hostile work…

Customer Question
I would like to know...
I would like to know if this is consider as a hostile work environment.
I team leader have been going around tell co-workers, that she wish I will quit. she stop helping me when I need help, I had to go to my manager and she said from now on just come to her when I need help. this made me so uncomfortable that after 3 months I couldn't take it any more so I gave them my 2 week notices.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Employment Law
1/29/2016
Employment Lawyer: Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

You certainly have half of the equation, but there are two parts to a hostile work environment claim. First is the harassment component. You have that here, with the negative treatment. Second though is the illegal motivation, which means that the basis for the treatment is discrimination against your race, religion, gender, age or disability or recent FMLA (medical leave) use.

If you can allege one of those (you didn't mention anything like that in your facts) then you should file a complaint with the EEOC in your state. If you cannot allege one of those, then you would not have a hostile work environment claim. This definition comes from the Supreme Court of the United States and it is universally followed by all courts in the country. Unfortunately, without a discrimination component, a court would consider this generalized harassment which is not illegal in employment law and which courts refer to as "office politics."

If you have any further questions, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a top-three rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required. If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care and have a great day.

Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer