Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience
91018665

Do you know if that's required to do a employment screen res

Customer Question

Hi, do you know if that's required to do a employment screen for new hires in IN? And can I still hire someone as contractors (1099) if they work with tools I provided?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 1 year ago.

Certain industries require it such as schools and hospitals. It is a highly recommended practice because you could be liable for their actions. Just loaning them tools would not confer upon them employee status. Though you should have a written agreement requiring refund or replacement if they lose or damage any tool.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what are the best ways to conduct this background screening?

There are companies that will do it for you while ensuring privacy of the employee. I would suggest using a vendor if you do not have the hr department trained in performing them. The reason being a violation on your part could expose you. The basic critera is using the social security number to determine any criminal history.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. So is the employer forced to provide health insurance benefit to the employees?

Only if they have a certain number of employees and meet certain criteria under the Obamacare regulations.