How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Allen M., Esq. Your Own Question
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 19179
Experience:  Employment/Labor Law Litigation
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Allen M., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If I'm working contractor he requires me to supply labor to

This answer was rated:

if I'm working for a contractor he requires me to supply labor to do a job and I charge him so much a hr. per person and he doesn't pay for services rendered what recourses do I have against this corporation

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

Ok, you have two different issues here. Even without a written contract, you can sue him for the owed funds. That's one issue. You can show the work done and sue for "unjust enrichment."

However, the right to sue runs directly into the second issue here, bankruptcy. Your debt is unsecured, so you'll be at the end of the line. In fact, without a judgment, you really aren't even at the end of the line yet. Regrettably, there isn't anything that you can do to stop that. Business debt is a legal debt to put through bankruptcy and that is a statutory right, to file it. All you can really do is go ahead and file a suit to get a judgment so that, if he comes into money or there is some left at the end, you at least get some of that.

If you have any further questions, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a top-three rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when I spoke with this person he says that their is money that will be left and told his attorney that he wants him to pay me first before anyone else is paid . how does that work . because he has a lot of unsecured dept
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
also does he have a say who get paid what

Not really. The unsecured debt has to put their claim in and the court handles who gets paid what. If the court sees funds going to one debtor under unsecured, the court can actually pull those funds back for dispersal.

I'm not a bankruptcy attorney, though I have done a few, so I can't get great into detail in that issue. I'm an employment law attorney that can address the fact that you are legally owed the money and can obtain a judgement. It's just a matter of determining how much that is actually worth to you. We have this happen often, unfortunately, where a claimant has a strong claim but the defendant is judgement proof because they have no assets or are about to be cleared through a bankruptcy.

Allen M., Esq. and other Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you