Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I am a registered nurse in a new management position. My…

Customer Question
I am a registered nurse...
I am a registered nurse in a new management position. My title is clinical care coordinator for a 90 bed acute rehab/long term care facility in White Lake Michigan, run by trinity health. I was hired for my position 5 months ago by a interim director of nursing, who has been replaced with a permanent director of nursing 3 months ago. Her name is ***** ***** we have had a rocky relationship due to poor staffing and patient safety.
I was out of work for little over a week for medical illness, UTI early Septicemia. Upon my return 1/27/16 I was called into the director of nursing's office to find the human resources director there also. The director of nursing stated she had started a performance improvement plan for my deficiencies. I was caught off guard. I have never in my 26 years of being a registered nurse ever even had a write up! But at this position I currently hold I have never have received a 30/60/90 day performance evaluation. And had a very poor orientation. The director wants me to quit so she has jumped right to this performance improvement plan. Human resource director appears empathetic but other than that I have no one else to turn to. I asked human resource director if she thought this was fair practice? And she stubbles they her answer. Now I have to work on this "plan" and jump thru all their hoops with no guarantee I will keep my job and it will be at the discretion of the director of nursing if I have sufficiently completed her plan. Do I have any legal recourse and if so what would it be?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Employment Law
1/28/2016
Employment Lawyer: Marsha411JD, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Marsha411JD, Lawyer

Thank you for the information and your question. Can you please tell me if you are in a union and work under a bargaining agreement? Is the warning policy that you referred to guaranteed in all cases and in writing in the policy manual? Finally, are you saying that you think you were targeted for this because you took a week off for your medical condition and did you use FMLA?

Hello again,

I see that you read my request for more information, but not where you responded. If you still need assistance, then once you supply that additional information I can provide you with an answer as soon as I become available. If you no longer need assistance, then you can contact customer service to obtain a refund of any deposit you might have left with the Site.