Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

In San Diego, CA Walmart stores, Vendors are being told they…

Customer Question
In San Diego, CA...
In San Diego, CA Walmart stores,
Vendors are being told they have to leave either, their personal keys, or driver's liscense, or cell phone with store personnel to obtain a vendor badge which is no more than a clip on badge having no security value or info on it. It's the same as an employee's name bade only it says "vendor." Vendors can spend several hours in these stores per day. The issue is, store personnel are just throwing these items in a drawer in most cases behind the photo counter. Vendors or any store personnel or or for that matter, anybody, can simply go behind the counter and open drawer and have immediate access to these items. One Vendor's company said it was up to the employee if they wanted to hand over one of the above items. If the Vendor does not, they are kicked out of the store, which in most companies is grounds forr termination.
This has got to be a violation of not only the Vendor's personnal rights, but they are there representing their employor not themselves. Asking forr these very personal items is not only a LIABILITY on Walmart's part, but anybody could steal their identity, car or hack cell phone. I am doubtful that Walmalt corporation has approved this or is aware its happening, because rememeber were talking about a plastic clip on name badge which has no value, no security info on it, its just a name badge, that can't possibly twarrent the type of 'deposit' they are requiring from the Vendor.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Employment Law
1/28/2016
Employment Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 2 years ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Even though it is a plastic badge which has minimal value, it is a security matter and it is not something that is prohibited by any law. If the vendor refuses to leave their keys or something less likely to be compromised then the store can refuse to allow them in. You do not have to leave a credit card or even a cell phone, you are given a choice. I can tell you most vendors we deal with carry a set of dummy keys they claim are their vehicle keys and turn them in to get their badges (since the law is silent, there is nothing preventing you from doing that just like there is nothing preventing them from demanding you leave some item to get the badge).
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney