How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 102379
Experience:  Years of experience in running a medium sized law firm.
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Im just doing some research. I am having difficulties at

Customer Question

Im just doing some research. I am having difficulties at work of a variety and also have intermittent fmla for GAD/depression and severe IBS. I have been having to use it.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Off handed comments from supervisor "if people would just come to work..." after I have used my fmla, giving me undesirable jobs and setting me up for failure, making me feel like a bad employee even though I got a good review just a few weeks ago. she allowed me to be bullied until the bully retired... I just received an email from leave of absence at my job stating that they would like for me to give them a call to discuss my leave but I was unable to get in tough with someone because the office had already closed.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Employment Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Employment Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was transferred to a new department in march without any input due to my dept moving. I was not given appropriate training, I was not given orientation to the departments procedures and rules (I.E. Pto and holiday rotations). I have had to go to HR.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Within 3 months I was on intermittent fmla for anxiety and to go to my dr and therapy appts. and was also out on continued leave for over a week due to a stress breakdown.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I believe I have PTSD due to the way I have been treated and have since developed pretty severe IBS symptoms that I am also seeing a dr and have additional fmla for that health issue.
I have begun documenting occurances and dates for evidence and have atleast 2 people that are witnesses to the goings on that I believe will speak for me if the right situation arises but I need to know how to use my fmla and protect myself.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
It is against the FMLA to harass, retaliate or create a hostile work environment for use of time under FMLA. Furthermore, the comments can also be a violation of your rights under the Americans with Disabilities Act as it creates a hostile environment based on your disability.
You need to file a complaint with the EEOC, since the requirement before filing in court is that the EEOC has to investigate and grant you a right to sue letter as part of exhausting your administrative remedies. Once they investigate this, they will give you the right to sue letter if they cannot resolve the issue and then you can sue the employer in court.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you tell me how to file a complaint with EEOC? And perhaps the type of evidence I need to gather to support myself?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply.
You can contact the EEOC to file a complaint by going to
You will need someone who can testify to the comments made by the supervisor and you need to show that you never had these issues of retaliation until you started using your FMLA leave.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can do that. One other piece of the puzzle is... I had already been diagnosed with my health issues and had them under control with medication etc...and the behavior and treatment I received along with other work related issues contributed to the flare up of my health issues that had previously been under control and when I had meeting with the appropriate people in management ...I was, what my therapist called, Gaslighted the bullying was previous to my fmla but has elevated since. I have been an employee with this company for 12 years and never experienced this type of situation.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply.
It still qualifies for hostile work environment because you are still protected by the Americans with Disabilities Act, not only the FMLA.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it possible to have a second person take a look at this conversation and also give input. I already know most of what I have been told.. I need some more in depth information about how I should proceed with my work.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply. You never told us anything about what you knew or did not know when you posted your question, so we have no idea. However, we get customers coming here and even to our offices asking us to tell them what to do and when we tell them the law, which is all we can tell them, they will say, "I read that" well let me explain to you, the law is what it is, there are no real "opinions" just what the law says and we cannot rewrite it to tell someone more.
So if you have specific questions interpreting the law, ask, but unless you tell me what you know and what more you want to know I nor any other expert has any way to know what you want or know what is in your head.
You have recourse as I have already told you, so I do not know what more you would want to know, but would be unable to even tell you more without you telling me what more you want.
So, you want to know how to proceed with your work in WHAT MANNER, you need to tell us specifically, since filing the EEOC complaint is "how you proceed with your work." The EEOC takes your complaint, notifies the employer that it is investigating and this puts the employer on notice of your claim. Dealing with your employer then means only going to work and doing your job, there is no other way to deal with them. You need to let the EEOC complete their investigation and give you a right to sue letter if they cannot do so.
Until that time if the treatment is causing manifestation of physical symptoms in you, then you can seek to go out of work sick until this is resolved and if the doctors say it is from the stress created by the hostile work environment, then you can pursue the claim under workers compensation.
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am another expert with JustAnswer. Law Educated, Esq asked me to take a quick look for a second, sound opinion.
From what you have stated, this seems to be covered both under FMLA and ADA.
The Department of Labor enforces FMLA issues (although one can also use a private legal suit as well). For Violations of ADA can be filed with the EEOC, which then issues a letter which gives the right to sue via civil suit for the violation.
Your expert is on point here. I will turn this over back to him now. Al the best.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well, I have been keeping a journal of documentation and have atleast 1 witness that will speak up...possibly 2. Can the notes from my therapy sessions and from meeting with HR be used as evidence?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How long do I have to gather evidence?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply.
I would caution against using notes from therapy sessions because those are confidential and once you admit some of them, the other party can seek all of your psychotherapy notes as you have waived privilege to them. Also, notes from your sessions are just hearsay. You need first hand information from a witness who actually saw behavior towards you or heard comments about you.
You have 300 days to file a complaint from the date of the last discriminatory act against you. Once the EEOC gets the complaint they are supposed to investigate within 180 days and give you a letter. So those are the time frames you have to work with to put your evidence together.
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. You mean that is the court in which the conviction occurred, or, the court to which you wish to appeal?