Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Can a co-worker record a conversation without your consent…

Customer Question
can a co-worker record a...
can a co-worker record a conversation without your consent and use it to get you terminated?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Employment Law
1/26/2016
Employment Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Legally yes, VA is considered a "one party consent state" meaning that one party to a conversation can record it without the other's knowledge to use in any type of legal or disciplinary action..

.

But they can't place a recorder somewhere and record a private conversation that they aren't a part of as that would violate wiretapping and eavesdropping laws..

.

.

thanks