How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Patrick, Esq. Your Own Question
Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 12927
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Patrick, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I work company and the dept. which I am currently working in

Customer Question

I work for a company and the dept. which I am currently working in is relocating to another location which I am unable to travel to. My boyfriend and I work in the same department, and have been dating/working together for 6 years. We spoke the supervisor of another department (that is not relocating) and he wants to hire both of us to start immediately. Our current supervisor disclosed to HR that we are in a relationship and HR doesn't want to transfer us both but the policy doesn't explicitly state we cannot work together."
A romantic or sexual relationship between the following individuals violates this policy:
 Employee and Direct Supervisor;  Employee and Indirect Supervisor;  Employee and Patient or Employee and patient’s Relative, (applies when the employee works in or has oversight at a location where the patient is being treated) or  Employee and Vendor... " (see below)
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Employment Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
cont'd ) Romantic or sexual relationships between co-workers that become problematic in the workplace may violate this policy and must be disclosed to a direct supervisor and human resources."
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

I am very sorry to hear about your difficulty getting the transfer approved. Unfortunately, however, I must tell you that from a legal standpoint you would not have any recourse. The reason, simply, is that company policies do not create binding legal obligations on employers. They are simply interpreted by courts as guidelines that give employees a general idea of what to expect.

So, no claim would arise from your employer's refusal to honor to technical language of their own policy. All you can do in this circumstance is attempt to persuade. This means writing the supervisor in the other department and explaining the situation, asking him to get in touch with his boss if necessary. There is no legal right to fairness in these circumstances, though. If your employer ultimately denies the transfer for both of you, you would not have any recourse under the law I'm afraid to say.

I hope that you find this information helpful and am genuinely sorry if it is not what you were hoping to hear. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.

Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Are you still with me?