Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I am a part-time hourly employee at a major home goods store…

Customer Question
I am a part-time hourly...
I am a part-time hourly employee at a major home goods store in California.
They have made a few days on my schedule next week at a location 53 miles from my home (my normal location is 5 miles from home).
In addition, they scheduled me to start at 5 am. My normal hours begin no earlier than 9 am since I have a school age child.
1. Can they force me to take that temporary assignment?
2. Are they required to pay mileage and travel time?
3. Could they fire me for refusing the assignment?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Employment Law
1/25/2016
Employment Lawyer: Asad Rahman, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer

I'm sorry to hear this.

1. They can force you to take a temporary assignment.

2. They are not necessarily required to pay for travel or mileage but you should certainly ask since you are trying to accommodate them.

3. They can fire you with or without cause under California's at will employment laws. Refusal to obey a directive from management might also prevent you from seeking unemployment as well.

I'm not trying to be the bearer of bad news, but it is important you get truthful and accurate answers to your question.

Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer